Thursday, December 06, 2007

New "safe" feature - Child-safe caps on Water bottles??????

At our company open-house, I picked up a small container of Polish Spring bottled water to drink, and turned the twist cap. Nothing happened. Turned it again - couldn't figure out how to get it open, even though I have been doing this for years.

I then noticed the label proudly displaying the "Child-safe twist cap!" safety feature. Huh?

My first thought was "why, do they need to protect the kids from accidentally drinking the water? Is water that harmful? I try pushing and turning the cap, the standard way of opening child-proof things - no luck.

Then I notice the entire cap on the bottle is turning. Now I get it. On further reading, The Child safe feature, says "non-removable cap reduces the risk of choking" Yeah. Right. Caps are pretty big things - if this is a risk, there are a whole LOT of things that would have to be eliminated from the world first.

With this, I now know what I need to do - hold the lower cap with my hand, then turn the upper to break an almost-invisible plastic tab. From then on, things worked normally.

Nope, I don't think this has to do at all with child safety. It has to do with preventing people from refilling the bottles - if you can't get the cap off (and you can't!) you can't refill the bottles.

I hope this doesn't catch on....

No comments: