Monday, July 02, 2007

Chuck saves himself from sure embarrassment

Just a few minutes ago, I was in the men's bathroom near the end of the day at work. After doing what guys do in bathrooms (which as best I can tell is a subset of what women do in the women's room), I hear a cricket singing. Or maybe a cricket - certainly sounds like a cricket.

So, I walk up and down the length of the bathroom (amid a few confused stares), and can't seem to find him. I then listen to the wall the urinals are mounted on (more stares), and think I hear it in there. Hmmm.

Well, I know that on the other side of that wall is a janitor's closet, so I decide to check that out next. Luckily the door is unlocked. I walk inside, and can hear a cricket, but can't tell how near it is, because there is some noise from the vending machine in the hallway. To reduce that, I shut the door for a second.

Well, two problems - the first minor, the second more problematic. First, I had not turned on the lights. No problem, really, as I was only trying to find out where the sound was coming from. Now, about that second problem. After I pulled the door shut, the inside door handle pulled off! Result? VERY dark room, a door handle in my hand, and a "ching" of falling metal to the ground.

At this time, I was musing over the amusement everyone would have if I just started knocking on the door calling for help. Discussions such as "I don't know, Ken, should be let him out? Its really quiet in the engineering area without him around!". "I tend to agree Dave - let's enjoy a half hour of quiet, at least".

In the end, once I located in pieces, it didn't take long to assemble the door and let myself out. But it was a fun thought while it lasted!

No comments: