Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Last night I was working in the front yard, and from the road I heard a "thump".  I didn't think much about it, but later heard several more - "thonk"........"thlump".....


Hmm.  Now this has my attention.  I watch the road, which is the general direction the sounds were coming from.  Wait a bit.  Swat at a mosquitoe.  Wait some more.  And then....THUNK!  A pinecone hits the pavement.  Well, we have some very tall pine trees that overhang the street, so I look in the top, probably 20 meters overhead and find a grey squirrel - we have lots of them.  He was busily chewing off the stems so the pinecones would drop!  Usually I thought that squirrels grab a cone and eat it in the tree,  but clearly this guy had a different idea.  How do I know?  Well, I looked out this morning, all of the pinecones were gone! :-)

No comments: